Saturday, May 5, 2012

Mystery Dinner


So this was my dinner tonight. One fresh tomato, a plate of mixed, stir-fry veggies (mainly cabbage and carrots), and mystery fish. The tomato was WONDERFUL. It was perfectly ripe and had an amazing smell that just said "summer." The veggies were so-so, a little boring but fine enough. The real interesting thing of the night was the plate of fish. I don't know how they were cooked, I don't know what they were, but apparently they're a specialty of St Petersburg. Being right near the Gulf of Finland and the Baltic Sea, it makes sense that Petersburg has its own special fish cuisine. I don't think they were herring, but maybe a cousin of herring?

Before...

...and After.
Salty, but good. You know how much of a battle it is to get to the meat when eating wings? Multiply that battle by a thousand and you've got my dinner experience trying to eat these tiny fishies.


UPDATE: The fish is apparently called "Karyushka" which means "Smelt" in English. Not that that clarified things much, but now I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment