Saturday, February 11, 2012

Kasha - a Russian staple

There are certain foods in every country that you can't avoid. If you don't like them, good luck eating meals. In Russia, sour cream is the go-to condiment. Mushrooms are a major food group. And kasha, an oatmeal/cereal-like substance, is a solid foundation to start any Russian's day. Over the course of my first week in Russia, I was served four different kinds of kasha and would not be surprised if there were more yet to come. I didn't take pictures of each breakfast while I was eating it because, weird, but GoogleImages will help me show you my week in breakfasts!

Day 1 - Ovsyanaya Kasha (Овсяная Каша)
English translation: OatmealThis one was basically regular old oatmeal. Nothing too bizarre, just flavorless oatmeal that you add stuff to. In every bowl of kasha so far, it's been customary to put a slab of butter in it. I prefer to stir in some sugar as well, although others add salt.

Day 2 - Mannaya Kasha (Манная Каша)
English translation: Farina (?)This is how the Internet and my dictionary translate this one, but I have no idea what farina is, so I'm just trusting them to be right. It was....interesting. It had the consistency of apple sauce but a light, oat-y, milky taste. Still, a slab of butter and spoonful of sugar later, it wasn't half bad.

Day 3 - Pshyonnaya Kasha (Пшённая Каша)
English translation: Wheat...gruel? Porridge?You know that stuff they eat aboard the ship in The Matrix? Chock-full of vitamins, but essentially slop? Yeah, that's this one. Lots of bits in soupy creaminess, it was kind of like eating uncooked oatmeal. It was a little more liquidy than I prefer, but still not bad. It definitely tastes better than it looks, it just has a bizarre texture.

Day 4 - Risovaya Kasha (Рисовая Каша)
English translation: RiceThis one was basically a bowl of creamy, white rice. If I had been eating it for dinner, I probably would have liked it. But a bowl of rice at 8 in the morning? A little much for me. All of these variations of kasha stick to your ribs like glue, but this one most of all.

Russian Wikipedia lists several more types of kasha, so who knows what will be next? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment