Sunday, March 18, 2012

Excursion - Peter and Paul Fortress

On Saturday, March 17, we went on an outing to the Peter and Paul Fortress. It's one of the prominent landmarks and historical sites of Petersburg. It's a major image on the riverbank and has remained that way - no structure is allowed to be taller than the Peter and Paul Cathedral. This is even more understandable when you find out what's inside the cathedral...

Founded in 1703, it was used as a fortress against possible attacks from the Swedes, but came to fame later in the 1720s for its use as a prison for prominent political figures. Such historical figures as Dostoevsky, Trotsky, and even Peter the Great's own son were imprisoned here.

The Peter and Paul Cathedral, with its magnificent golden spire, is the resting place of almost every Russian tsar from Peter I to Alexander III (excluding Peter II). This includes the remains of the Romanov family.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to show pictures and tell about my travels at the same time. Pictures are easier shown via Facebook, but I have more room to describe them on the blog. For now, I'm going to be a little crazy and post the link for my blog on Facebook while I post the link for the appropriate Facebook photo gallery on my blog. You can choose your own journey, so to speak! Click here for the Facebook photo gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment